2009年5月14日星期四

A life worth living

Was reading the Book of Ecclesiastes written by King Solomon...

As a very intelligent and wealthy king, he had spent his lifetime experiencing and analyzing everything the world had to offer. King Solomon has done it all.. he built the famous Temple of the Lord and many other temples for other Gods, he had wives from different countries and tribes, he wrote Songs of songs, leaders from all over came to speak to him and showered him with gifts and riches...

His conclusion about life?

Toil is meaningless...yearning for wealth and all the other pleasures..
is like chasing after the wind.

A few weeks ago, during fellowship, a classmate of mine reminded me once again why I wanted to be a doctor.

Many years ago, when I was in jc, I had this overpowering desire to change lives... I met this lady who is a TCM practioner. She left home to serve as a doctor for a small village in India. The villagers could not afford western medicine and hence, alternative medicine was the best and most effective alternative. With needles, herbs and surgical tools made of bamboo, she saved and changed so many lives. She even set up a TCM school in the village to train young locals to become aspiring TCM doctors.

She was the very reason why I chose this course.. why I am in China right now.

For the first 3 years in NTU, I forgot my very purpose for being in this course. I was complaining about how this course won't give me the future I want, how little I will earn and how I won't be able to afford for my dream car, a mini copper and my dream Hermes bag. It was a chore to go to school, a chore to just sit in class to study.. I felt like.... I was chasing after the wind.

I am thankful for being reminded once again why I chose this course... I don't want to be chasing after the wind anymore=) There is a time... a time for everything.

" I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live."

没有评论: